21 nights/22 days
Train travel between all cities and coach/minibus travel in the Balkans
21 nights in top-rated hostels
Our bucket list activities included! Szechenyi thermal baths, guided tours, and National Park visits as well as optional sightseeing trips on other days with your tour leader.
Looking for a small group tour of Eastern Europe where you can enjoy a more authentic travel experience? Our small group tours are perfect. Travel on public transport, stay in hostels and travel with a group of likeminded backpackers.
Travelling with you throughout, your tour leader will ensure the trip runs smoothly; getting you on the right trains and making sure you arrive safely at your hostel in each city.
They’ll also be exploring the city with you, coordinating included and optional activities – such as city tours and pub crawls – not to mention making sure you’ve got a cold beer waiting for you upon arrival at each hostel’s bar!
Any problems or queries you might have during your trip, they’re on hand. That means all you need to do is relax and enjoy the journey!
Our 3 week Eastern Europe small group tour from Berlin to the Balkans is the perfect adventure if you’re looking for a mix of well-known tourist cities and hidden gems. You’ll explore cosmopolitan capitals like Prague, Vienna and and Budapest, as well as fascinating cities like Sarajevo and UNESCO World Heritage sights like Kotor.
Throughout the trip we’ll hang out as a group at least once in each city for drinks – you’ll be travelling with other like minded travelers, as well as your dedicated tour leader.
- All overland transport tickets between cities (flights to the start and from the end are not included)
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you
- Seat reservations on high-speed trains
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels tested by us
- Included bucket list essential activities, such as tours, day trips, historic sights and museums
- Breakfast in some hostels (depending on availability)
- Free arrival drink in every hostel with a bar
- Transfers to and from the hostel and included activities by public transport
- The option to book additional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities through your tour leader
- A Tour Leader to travel with you and coordinate your trip throughout
You’ll have two to three nights in each location, with plenty of time to explore historic sights, beaches, nightlife and more. There’ll be plenty of unmissable activities which are included in your price – but there will also be other optional activities on offer. We’ve also included a few free days throughout your trip, so that you can chill out and do whatever you fancy.
Berlin (2 Nights)
Meet your tour leader and the rest of your group at the hostel bar for welcome drinks in the evening. before you head up the classic Berlin landmark – Alexanderplatz’ TV tower to watch the sun set over this buzzing city.
The next morning, we’ll head up the classic Berlin landmark – Alexanderplatz’ TV tower (included) for dazzling views of this buzzing city. The rest of the day you’ve got free – the perfect opportunity to explore Europe’s coolest city and marvel at the contrast between old and new – take a bike or walking tour, head out to the East Side gallery or book yourself tickets to the Reichstag dome! In the evening, explore Berlin’s liberal nightlife or check out one of our cool ‘budget eats’!Berlin Guides
- Included: Tickets to Berlin’s TV tower to see the awesome views
- See a section of the old Berlin Wall
- Visit Check Point Charlie
- Climb the dome of the renovated Reichstag
- Discover the nightlife of Schoneberg and Kreuzberg
Prague (2 Nights)
Take the train east to the capital of the Czech Republic for 2 nights. Prague’s centre is crammed full of history and architecture; you’ll feel like you’re walking around a fairytale city. We’ll explore the city by evening, with an optional pub crawl.
The next day, join us on an optional walking tour of the city. In the evening, we’ll take in the beauty of Prague with a sunset cruise on the Vltava River (included).Prague Guides
- Included: Sunset Cruise on the Vltava River
- Join us for an optional pub crawl
- Marvel at the curvy design of the dancing building
- Try all the Czech Pilsner beers in the old town pub
- Take in the views from Prague Castle
Vienna (1 Night)
Then make the short train journey to Vienna for a one night stay. The capital of the Habsburg Empire is overflowing with awe-inspiring palaces to wonder around.
If that doesn’t capture your imagination, rest assured that Vienna has some of Europe’s best bars and nightclubs to make the most of. Explore Naschmarkt for some artsy bargains, or treat yourself to afternoon tea in one of Vienna’s civilised cafes.Vienna Guides
- Visit the Spanish riding school of Vienna
- Eat real Apple Strudel and Wiener Schnitzel
- Go to a classical concert in a city renowned for music
- Walk around the gardens of the Schonbrunn Palace
Budapest (4 Nights)
Pull into one of Budapest’s many train stations and prepare to be blown away by this Bohemian city. The Hungarian capital is one of Central Europe’s biggest: a bustling and artistic city, overflowing with quirky restaurants, nightlife and stunning architecture.
Enjoy wandering the streets of the Jewish quarter – spotting murals on every corner. We’ll relax in the world famous Szechenyi Baths by day (included), and hit the ruin pubs by night. In your own time, explore the city on two wheels, discover the beautiful architecture of Fisherman’s Bastion and the Hungarian Parliament, or hire a buggy to tour Margaret Island.Budapest Guides
- Included: Soak those aching traveller muscles in Szechenyi baths after a jam-packed week
- Optional trip to Buda Castle
- Explore Budapest’s quirky markets and shops
- Experience unique nightlife with a ruin pub crawl
- Visit the Hungarian Parliament
- Cycle the banks of the beautiful Danube
Belgrade (3 Nights)
Belgrade is a different kind of capital. While its grand and sweeping shopping streets are reminiscent of glamorous Vienna, a short hop across the river reminds you that you’ve hit the Balkans. Belgrade is where grungy ex-Yugoslav apartment blocks meet the blue blue Danube.
Explore this sprawling city on foot to get an idea of its different faces. From food markets with some of the cheapest and freshest produce you’ll see, to a club scene that rivals Berlin, Belgrade is a city you’ll grow to love the more you discover.
We’ll arrive in the evening on day 1, dropping our bags at the hostel just in time for a delicious Serbian dinner.
On day 2, learn about the fascinating history on an underground communist tour of the city (included). By night, hit the bars and end up at one of the (in)famous Danube party boats. We’ll have day 3 to explore the cool street art of the city and stroll up to the fortress for sweeping views over the city.Belgrade Guides
- Included: Underground Communist City Tour
- Visit the 18th century Belgrade Fortress
- Climb the cobbled streets of Skadarlija
- Float down the Danube on the splavovi party boats
- Take a day trip to the pretty student town of Novi Sad
Sarajevo (3 Nights)
Next up, we’ll hop across to another unique Balkan capital. The Bosnian city of Sarajevo is often compared with both Istanbul and Vienna, due to it’s contrasting Ottoman and Austrian quarters. Both are nods to the city’s fascinating and troubled history.
We’ll arrive in the evening, make ourselves at home and enjoy a welcome shot of rakja (don’t worry… we’ll all be used to it by the end of this trip!) before heading out for a bite to eat. Don’t forget to try the classic Balkan dish – Cevapi!
On day two, we’ll take a local tour around some of the historically significant places in the city and visit the fascinating, once secret Sarajevo tunnel used during the Bosnian war to link up parts of the city (included). Day three is yours to do with as you choose – hike up to the stunning Yellow Fortress, or escape the scorching sun in one of the many walled caravanserai – or tea houses!Sarajevo Guides
- Included: Trip through the Sarajevo War Tunnel
- Wander round the Ottoman quarter & explore the Turkish Bazaar
- Take a tour with a local guide to find out about the city’s turbulent history
- Sample crazy Bosnian nightlife (with some compulsory rakja)
- Alternatively make coffee your tipple of choice and enjoy the traditional coffee houses!
Mostar (1 Night)
Mostar is a bucket list destination – Bosnia at its most beautiful. The famous bridge which links two sides of the river was destroyed in the war, but carefully rebuilt to its former glory. Discover how a once war-torn town has built itself back up – you’d never know from its friendly people, beautiful buildings and amazing food and drink.
We’ll enjoy a walking tour of this beautiful town, followed by a relaxed Bosnian dinner – with plenty of local wine.Mostar Guides
- See the famous Mostar Bridge
- Visit the mosque that sits above the river Neretva
- Shop for handmade crafts in the bazaar
Kotor (2 Nights)
Nestled amongst the mountains and hidden from the ocean behind a stunning bay, Kotor is framed by mountains for spectacular views to rival any other. Relax by the crystal clear waters, or just wander round the old town and drink local wine. It’s an idyllic place to chill out after a busy few days.
On day one we’ll arrive mid-afternoon, check out the old town and settle in for a delicious dinner. The seafood here is something special!
Day two is relaxed – we’ll take a boat trip (included) to Perast and the tiny monastery in the bay. This tiny abandoned church is called “Our Lady of the Rocks” and occupies a stunning position within the Bay of Kotor. On the way back we will stop off for a quick swim in the incredible Blue Cave.
Come evening, why not hike up to Kotor’s stunning fortress. Do it at sunset and make that view even more special!Kotor Guides
- Included: Boat trip through Kotor Bay, Perast and the Blue Cave
- Take a trip out to the beautiful Lovcen National Park just a few miles away
From our southernmost point, we’ll start our journey back up the Croatian coast, making a stop in Dubrovnik – “The Pearl of the Adriatic”. Its wonderful marble streets and Baroque buildings have totally recovered after being bombed in 1991. You won’t be anything but awe-struck at its beauty, a medieval city perched against the Adriatic and positively beaming with charm.
After an afternoon exploring, we’ll continue on to Split, our final destination.Dubrovnik Guides
- Take an optional Game of Thrones Tour to discover Kings’ Landing
- Enjoy fresh sea food in the paved courtyards of the old town
- Sip cocktails at the Hard Jazz Café
Split (3 Nights)
Even though Split is a port for many Croatian islands, sitting elegantly between the Adriatic and the mountains, the country’s second city has two UNESCO World Heritage sites within its walls, a marble waterfront walkway, and a buzzing atmosphere around its bars and pubs.
Day 1 will see us explore the stunning old town by night – enjoying a waterside dinner.
Day 2 will be free for you to do as you please. Explore the stunning Roman city, before taking a ferry over to the gorgeous island of Hvar – playground of the rich and famous! That night we’ll hit the bars back in Split with a Croatian style pub crawl.
Day three is your chance to relax and unwind as we take a bus to the magical Krka National Park (included) where you can swim in the waterfalls. Savour the moment, because in the morning your flight home awaits.Split Guides
- Included: Trip to Krka National Park
- See the amazing ruin of Diocletian’s Palace
- Admire the city as you approach it from the sea
- Stroll along the glittering waterfront
- Explore Hvar – Croatia’s most glamorous party island
1 day ago
Fabulous trip around Europe. Very well planned out with plenty of extra information. The hotels they chose were brilliant value for money and all in easy and close locations. Anyone planning a rail trip we would thoroughly recommend Euroventure.
1 day ago
I took my granddaughter around Europe using euroventure to book everything. They were amazing from train reservations to hostels it all went to plan. We even prebooked tickets for attractions with Bogi our euroventure contact. From Paris to Rome to the hot baths in Budapest, castles in Prague and shopping in Berlin. Who knew there was still C &A on the high st! We ended in Amsterdam tired but fulfilled. euroventure took all the guesswork and worry although travelling independently you knew they were always a phone call away if needed. I loved it so much I’m going to do it all again very soon. Ty Euroventure for the trip of a lifetime.
1 day ago
We had an amazing time on our trip! I am so grateful for the assistance I received from Richard and Bogi. They helped me put together the perfect trip. I had only a short time, but was able to visit all the places I wanted to. All train tickets and reservations were in order and everything went smoothly. I was traveling with my daughter, so I opted to stay in hotels. They were in good locations, nice and clean. We also received a package before our trip with all tickets, hotel reservations and useful tips for places to visit, foods to try, how to say certain phrases in each country we visited, etc. - it was very helpful! Overall, we are so happy we booked with Euroventure! They made it all very easy. We will definitely book with them again soon...
2 days ago
Highly recommend Euroventure to any traveller, as a first time traveller, Euroventure made the whole process hassle and stress free from start to end! I can’t thank our tour leader, Tom enough, as if it wasn’t for him I’d still be lost! He was very organised, as well as having a laugh with us! I’ll definitely be recommending to a friend!
2 days ago
I am a first time traveler that just finished up a group tour, and it was perfect for me! Our tour leader was excellent and I really enjoyed visiting all of the cities. All of the hostels we stayed in were great and the choices for activities in each city were awesome. Everything was planned out really well which made it very easy to enjoy. Definitely would recommend this to any first time travelers like myself!
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?