You’ll see the whole length of Britain in 7 nights and 8 days starting and ending in London.
If you don’t have much time to explore the UK but you still want to see the main places then this is the perfect route. Starting and ending in the capital where you can always find cheap return flights, you’re rail journey heads north, stopping for a night or two at each city along the route.
Brimming with character and charm, Britain’s most well-known cities are all here for you to explore on this quintessential British Train Holiday.
Take in our pick of some of the country’s finest cultural destinations, and soak up the endless beauty, history and culture that awaits you.
Start off in London, the city that never sleeps. You’ll be spoiled for choice when it comes to things to see and do, whether you’re looking to get the traditional London experience, or find your own hidden gems in the city. Head to the Tower of London to marvel at the breath-taking crown jewels, enjoy a luxurious afternoon tea at the Fan Museum, or even take a trip to the West End Theatre for an evening to remember!
Next you’ll head to Oxford, where dreamy landscapes and buildings will transport you back to another point in time. The Ashmolean Museum in Oxford is home to some highly inspired works of art, whilst the Natural History Museum is sure to impress any history buff! Lord of the Rings fans shouldn’t leave before having a few drinks at the Eagle and Child pub – JRR Tolkien’s old haunt.
Next up: York. Oozing with ancient history and scenic picnic spots, you’re sure to fall in love with the cobbled Chocolate City! Roam the Roman Bathhouse and the impressive Norman York Castle, before grabbing a tasty pick-me-up at the renowned Betty’s Tea Rooms. Alternatively, you could make the most of the quaint boutique shops along the Snickelways of York, or head off on a boat trip down the River Ouse to drink in the sights.
Next, you’ll get a taste of Scotland with a visit to its capital, Edinburgh. Looking out over the picturesque and mountainous East Coast, you won’t be disappointed for views with a trip to Arthur’s Seat, an extinct volcano and the highest point in the city! Round your visit off with a trip to The Scotch Whiskey Experience to sample one of the country’s most well-known exports before heading back to London!
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Access to your itinerary, tickets and documents on the Euroventure App.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
London (2 Nights)
One of the most visited cities in the world and the crown jewel of the United Kingdom, London is undoubtedly spectacular. Boasting an incredibly rich history, countless iconic landmarks, world-class museums (most of which are free), acres of leafy parks, cobbled streets and alleyway pubs older than some cities – it isn’t hard to see why tourists flock to this jolly old town. Far from just a relic of the past, modern-day London is an economic and cultural powerhouse, stamping its authority as one of the greatest cities in the world.London Guides
- See the multiple iconic landmarks of Big Ben, The London Eye, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace
- Visit the British Museum, among the largest and most comprehensive in existence.
- Take a stroll through St. James Park, one of many found throughout the city
- Sample the delights at Borough Market
Oxford (1 Night)
Home to one of Britain’s two most famous universities, Oxford is a charming and quintessentially British city. Small enough to cover in a couple of days but with plenty to offer, spend your afternoons punting on the River Cherwell, exploring the eclectic covered market and enjoying the university and college grounds.Oxford Guides
- Visit the university colleges and grounds – there are nearly 40 different colleges so check their opening times before you go.
- Explore the vast Bodleian library and Radcliffe Camera – tours are available daily.
- See fascinating exhibits at the Pitt Rivers museum, devoted to human history.
- Admire the dreaming spires with a rooftop cocktail at The Varsity Club.
York (2 Nights)
With a history stretching nearly two millenia, modern day York is a widely revered destination, wearing it’s past as a badge of honour. The most intact and complete medieval walls encase the CBD, where you walk back in time through the towns Snickelways, a collection of narrow alleys, complete with overhanging buildings. The centrepiece is the magnificent York Minster, also known colloquially as the heart of Yorkshire.York Guides
- Marvel at the gothic grandeur of York Minster
- Walk the famous medieval walls and get the best view of the city
- Explore the Shambles, one of the best preserved streets in Europe
- Visit the National Railway Museum and discover the fantastic collection on display
Edinburgh (2 Nights)
Home to the Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh is proud to call itself Scotland’s capital city. Immerse yourself in its dramatic castles, beautiful views, traditional pubs and windy streets. Take the hike up to Arthur’s Seat for the best views of the city, and head to Sandy Bell’s in the evening for traditional brews and folk music.Edinburgh Guides
- Taste traditional haggis and neeps
- Stroll around the beautiful grounds of Holyrood Palace
- Climb up to Carlton Hill to see the Robert Burn’s Memorial
- Visit the National Museum of Scotland
How to get there
London has numerour international airports so you can fly in and out from pretty much anywhere in the world. If you are coming from Europe or are visiting the UK as aprt of one of our packages on the mainland then we can include Eurostar from Paris, Brussels and further connections. If you are starting from the UK, you can start your trip from any train station.
18 hours ago
I can not thank these guys enough. I'm a solo traveler about to start a month travels round Europe. I was so confused with the different options and what to do but they were amazing. They organised everything for me and I paid it up monthly. As promised tickets arrived 2 weeks before. Amy was amazing thank you for your help. The travel pack included is incredible so much detail and I booked a good few excursions as well because I know I'm safe with the company Already planning next year's!!.
2 months ago
Did the 3 week Eastern Europe tour and it was amazing! Couldn't recommend Euroventure enough! Took all the hassle out of travelling, particularly for someone as unorganised as I am! All the hostels were clean, comfortable and friendly. Our tour guide Dave was great too! Knew all the good places to go to, even gave us a free walking tour in Prague. Couldn't do enough for us. Thanks everyone involved!
2 months ago
We had a wonderful experience working with Amy. She helped us work out so many details and made sure we were taken care off after complications with our booking. We are so grateful for her help and so excited for our trip
2 months ago
Just recently got back from the Iron Curtain tour and already have post tour blues! I enjoyed the trip immensely, met some fab people and felt like I laughed the whole week. I liked using euroventure as having everything planned out in advance took all the stress away compared to if I planned it myself. Big shout out to our tour leader David who was great to hang out with. He made the transitions between places and cities very easy and stress free. His sarcastic wit and humour made my week. He also had great knowledge on the sights we visited. The itinerary was jam packed with activities to do. Would highly recommend using Euroventure, will definitely be using them again!
2 months ago
Euro venture planned out recent trip though Europe. Our trip was well planned, communicated and completely what we asked for, we had a fantastic time. We enjoyed the train travel, timing was perfect and trains were easy to find with the directions given.
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?