You’ll see the whole length of Britain in 7 nights and 8 days starting and ending in London.
If you don’t have much time to explore the UK but you still want to see the main places then this is the perfect route. Starting and ending in the capital where you can always find cheap return flights, you’re rail journey heads north, stopping for a night or two at each city along the route.
Brimming with character and charm, Britain’s most well-known cities are all here for you to explore on this quintessential British Train Holiday.
Take in our pick of some of the country’s finest cultural destinations, and soak up the endless beauty, history and culture that awaits you.
Start off in London, the city that never sleeps. You’ll be spoiled for choice when it comes to things to see and do, whether you’re looking to get the traditional London experience, or find your own hidden gems in the city. Head to the Tower of London to marvel at the breath-taking crown jewels, enjoy a luxurious afternoon tea at the Fan Museum, or even take a trip to the West End Theatre for an evening to remember!
Next you’ll head to Oxford, where dreamy landscapes and buildings will transport you back to another point in time. The Ashmolean Museum in Oxford is home to some highly inspired works of art, whilst the Natural History Museum is sure to impress any history buff! Lord of the Rings fans shouldn’t leave before having a few drinks at the Eagle and Child pub – JRR Tolkien’s old haunt.
Next up: York. Oozing with ancient history and scenic picnic spots, you’re sure to fall in love with the cobbled Chocolate City! Roam the Roman Bathhouse and the impressive Norman York Castle, before grabbing a tasty pick-me-up at the renowned Betty’s Tea Rooms. Alternatively, you could make the most of the quaint boutique shops along the Snickelways of York, or head off on a boat trip down the River Ouse to drink in the sights.
Next, you’ll get a taste of Scotland with a visit to its capital, Edinburgh. Looking out over the picturesque and mountainous East Coast, you won’t be disappointed for views with a trip to Arthur’s Seat, an extinct volcano and the highest point in the city! Round your visit off with a trip to The Scotch Whiskey Experience to sample one of the country’s most well-known exports before heading back to London!
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Access to your itinerary, tickets and documents on the Euroventure App.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
London (2 Nights)
One of the most visited cities in the world and the crown jewel of the United Kingdom, London is undoubtedly spectacular. Boasting an incredibly rich history, countless iconic landmarks, world-class museums (most of which are free), acres of leafy parks, cobbled streets and alleyway pubs older than some cities – it isn’t hard to see why tourists flock to this jolly old town. Far from just a relic of the past, modern-day London is an economic and cultural powerhouse, stamping its authority as one of the greatest cities in the world.London Guides
- See the multiple iconic landmarks of Big Ben, The London Eye, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace
- Visit the British Museum, among the largest and most comprehensive in existence.
- Take a stroll through St. James Park, one of many found throughout the city
- Sample the delights at Borough Market
Oxford (1 Night)
Home to one of Britain’s two most famous universities, Oxford is a charming and quintessentially British city. Small enough to cover in a couple of days but with plenty to offer, spend your afternoons punting on the River Cherwell, exploring the eclectic covered market and enjoying the university and college grounds.Oxford Guides
- Visit the university colleges and grounds – there are nearly 40 different colleges so check their opening times before you go.
- Explore the vast Bodleian library and Radcliffe Camera – tours are available daily.
- See fascinating exhibits at the Pitt Rivers museum, devoted to human history.
- Admire the dreaming spires with a rooftop cocktail at The Varsity Club.
York (2 Nights)
With a history stretching nearly two millenia, modern day York is a widely revered destination, wearing it’s past as a badge of honour. The most intact and complete medieval walls encase the CBD, where you walk back in time through the towns Snickelways, a collection of narrow alleys, complete with overhanging buildings. The centrepiece is the magnificent York Minster, also known colloquially as the heart of Yorkshire.York Guides
- Marvel at the gothic grandeur of York Minster
- Walk the famous medieval walls and get the best view of the city
- Explore the Shambles, one of the best preserved streets in Europe
- Visit the National Railway Museum and discover the fantastic collection on display
Edinburgh (2 Nights)
Home to the Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh is proud to call itself Scotland’s capital city. Immerse yourself in its dramatic castles, beautiful views, traditional pubs and windy streets. Take the hike up to Arthur’s Seat for the best views of the city, and head to Sandy Bell’s in the evening for traditional brews and folk music.Edinburgh Guides
- Taste traditional haggis and neeps
- Stroll around the beautiful grounds of Holyrood Palace
- Climb up to Carlton Hill to see the Robert Burn’s Memorial
- Visit the National Museum of Scotland
How to get there
London has numerour international airports so you can fly in and out from pretty much anywhere in the world. If you are coming from Europe or are visiting the UK as aprt of one of our packages on the mainland then we can include Eurostar from Paris, Brussels and further connections. If you are starting from the UK, you can start your trip from any train station.
1 month ago
I recently used Euroventure to book a holiday through Europe. They were absolutely brilliant. Everything was taken care of, and I was able to pay it off in monthly installments. My itinerary was perfect, and it was altered to fit my wants and needs. The booklet they sent out with the tickets was amazing. I loved the personalisation, and the tips and information on each place I visited were well used. The hostels they chose were all really good, and in great locations. The transport organised was also good, and I had enough time in each city before moving on to the next. I only had one problem throughout my entire 7 week trip (one of my trains was delayed, so I missed the connecting train), and it was resolved swiftly and without any issues. I had an amazing time, and if I could do it all again, I wouldn't change a thing! I would definitely recommend Euroventure, and hopefully I'll get the chance to use them again.
1 month ago
We traveled for 7 nights through Berlin, Prague, Vienna and budapest. We had a lovely time. Euroventure were very helpful, prompt, reliable and professional. We received a personalised booklet for our trip with helpful information for each city and trip. I found this very helpful and thoughtful. The hostels we stayed in were mostly very nice and located close to metro lines for traveling the cities. I would highly recommend them as a travel operator.
1 month ago
From start to finish we were looked after very well, our trip ran very smoothly and we loved that there was constant support should we have needed it both before our trip or during!
1 month ago
I've recently got back from Bali with euroventure/ultimate travel and I had the most amazing time! I would like to thank Richard from the euroventure team for helping me so much with booking it all and with any questions (however stupid) I asked him! He is an absolute star and so is the company on a whole! I definitely would recommend euroventure and would definitely do it again! Thank you so much for everything
1 month ago
The hostels and coaches we were booked on were well staffed, clean and of a great standard. Responses were during working hours, and the travel app was a little limited. Will definitely book again.
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?