Take off on an amazing 2 week trip exploring 4 of Southern Europe’s biggest cities with our Greece and Italy interrailing route! This particular route is 15 days long, involving 13 nights in your accommodation, and one night spent on a night ferry. Journeys vary in length from a few hours to a full day or night’s travel.
This trip only creates 59.2 kg of carbon emissions! To fly the same route would cost 479.6 ♻️
Fancy getting to see a mix of big cities and hidden gems all scattered across Europe’s beautiful South? Escape grey skies and see our pick of the top destinations of the region with our Greece and Italy interrailing route! With at least 2 nights in each destination, you’ll get a great idea of what each city is about, whilst having time to spare for a few day trips away. Feel free to choose this trip as it is, or get in touch with us to tweak your route!
Escape to the sizzling Southern Coast!
Make your way around sun-drenched Southern Europe with a route that ties two hot nations together – Greece and Italy! Taking this route, you’ll travel all the way from Crete to Rome. The only difficulty will be in deciding whether to explore the city, or sun yourself on the beach first!
Start your trip off in beach-beautiful Crete, Greece’s largest island! With everything it has to offer, you might never want to leave; with white sandy beaches to lounge on, the White Mountains to hike and eerie caves to explore, you’ll have more than enough to fill your 3 nights here! This is even without mentioning the oodles of mythology and rich history that there is to delve into…
Picking your way across Greece, you’ll reach the capital city of Athens. This stunning city is so full to the brim with historical and archaeological sites, that you probably won’t see everything during your stay, but it’ll show you just how much another trip would be worth it! Be sure to follow the locals to an authentic taverna to sink a silky wine or refreshing beer, all soaked up with a groaning mezze platter.
Carry on to the quaint port city of Ancona, nestled on the Adriatic coast. With unrivalled beaches and quirky little artisanal shops, this is the perfect place to put your feet up and relax after your ferry journey. Be sure to grab a fresh, tasty treat at any one of the seafood restaurants by the water for gorgeous views, and reflect on your trip so far!
End your trip in Rome, the Eternal City, and marvel at the ancient monuments which still stand majestic amongst the centuries-old streets, fancifully furnished with sophisticated cafes and piazzas. Enjoy authentic Italian espresso, before tucking into some well-deserved cicchetti, before sampling what the city’s nightlife has to offer.
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Exclusive discounts on attractions across Europe.
- Peace of mind with alternative travel included if there is a strike or similar disruption.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
This 4 week Greece, Italy and Croatia route allows a more relaxed pace, taking in 8 cities in 29 days. Most of your journeys will have some flexibility, and you’ll travel during the day except for two night ferries. You’ll have a mix of shorter and longer trains, but don’t worry – we’ll always book times that allow you to make the most of each city.
Crete (3 Nights)
With a wealth of natural beauty, Crete is so varied in things to see and do that you’ll never be stuck for what to do! Beaches, mountains, forests and ruins define its landmarks, whilst the locals’ laidback lifestyle reflect its relaxed atmosphere.Crete Guides
- Explore the creepily beautiful Psychro Cave, the supposed birthplace of Zeus
- Hike the dramatic White Mountains and their protected forest
- Hit up Elafonisi beach for pink sands and awesome surf!
Athens (4 Nights)
Both historic and modern, edgy and traditional, Athens is famous as the capital of the Ancient world. Here you’ll find iconic structures like the Parthenon, the Acropolis and the Temple of Poseidon, but also a wealth of great coffee houses, delicious restaurants and buzzing bar scene. This is a truly young city, with a big student population – and the vibrant atmosphere that comes with it.Athens Guides
- Head to the top of Fillopapou hill, overlooking the Acropolis for the best photo opportunities
- Explore famous Greek sites – the Parthenon, the Theatre of Dionysos and the Temple of Poseidon among many others
- Drink Greek wine and cocktails al-fresco at one of Athen’s many bars and enjoy the vibrant nightlife
Ancona (1 Night)
Head off to the Adriatic gem of Ancona and wander through its narrow streets lined with quaint cafes and shops, before sampling its golden sandy beaches for a well-earned rest!Ancona Guides
- Drink in the natural beauty of Monte Conero nature reserve
- Get a taste of locally-caught seafood specialties
- Take a load off and lounge on the city’s sandy beaches
Rome (4 Nights)
Home to endless culture, stunning architecture and buzzing nightlife, Rome is one of the classic quintessentially European hubs to tick off your travel checklist. Take in the unreal food, fascinating culture, laidback lifestyle and experience it all!Rome Guides
- Marvel at the ruins of the Roman Forum
- See the world-famous Colosseum
- Try real Italian coffee, ice-cream and pizza
How to get there
No stress! You can arrange a flight to Chania International Airport and a flight home from Rome , whilst we take care of the transport in between your cities! Alternatively, if you’d like to start or end your trip elsewhere, just let us know and we’ll work a doable route out for you.
2 weeks ago
I had the most amazing time on the Iron Curtain Tour! We managed to fit so much into the week, with so many great recommendations by our awesome tour leader. Any difficulties as a cause of current travel situations were resolved without issue, and I always felt safe. Euroventure tours are to the best places, with the best people, and I cannot recommend them enough. Please do yourself a favour and book with them!
2 weeks ago
I had an amazing time on the iron curtain tour which was well organised so I could see a lot in a short space of time. Our tour leader was great; very knowledgeable and made good recommendations in each city. I was also pleased with the quality and location of the hostels. I will definitely consider booking with euroventure again.
2 weeks ago
The Iron Curtain Tour I went on was a great adventure! Euroventure was responsive with communication and on the tour the hostels were wonderful! My group was affected by the pandemic closures, but we made the most of it and Euroventure kept us updated throughout the week. No issues during travel!
2 weeks ago
Can't Fault Euroventure team for everything and creating the trip of a lifetime! Even with the current coronavirus issues, they are flexible, understanding and dealt with any concerns of the virus to reroute the trip. Will definitely be using them again!
3 weeks ago
Had a wonderful trip organised with Euroventure. All hotels fab and instructions on how to get to places spot on. No issues at all and I definitely recommend. Hil
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?