Take off on an amazing 4 week trip exploring 8 of Southern Europe’s biggest cities with our Greece, Italy & Croatia interrailing route! This route is 29 days long, involving 26 nights in your accommodation, two nights spent on night ferries. Journeys vary in length from a few hours to a full day or night’s travel.
Fancy getting to see a mix of big cities and hidden gems all scattered across Europe’s beautiful South? Escape grey skies and see our pick of the top destinations of the region with our Greece, Italy and Croatia interrailing route! With at least 2 nights in each destination, you’ll get a great idea of what each city is about, whilst having time to spare for a few day trips away. Feel free to choose this trip as it is, go for one of our shorter trips if you don’t mind missing out on Croatia, or get in touch with us to tweak your route!
Escape to the sizzling Southern Coast!
Make your way around sun-drenched Southern Europe with a route that ties three hot nations together – Greece, Italy, and Croatia! Taking this route, you’ll travel all the way from Crete through Italy and round to Dubrovnik. The only difficulty will be in deciding whether to explore the city, or sun yourself on the beach first!
Start your trip off in beach-beautiful Crete, Greece’s largest island! With everything it has to offer, you might never want to leave; with white sandy beaches to lounge on, the White Mountains to hike and eerie caves to explore, you’ll have more than enough to fill your 3 nights here! This is even without mentioning the oodles of mythology and rich history that there is to delve into…
Picking your way across Greece, you’ll reach the capital city of Athens. This stunning city is so full to the brim with historical and archaeological sites, that you probably won’t see everything during your stay, but it’ll show you just how much another trip would be worth it! Be sure to follow the locals to an authentic taverna to sink a silky wine or refreshing beer, all soaked up with a groaning mezze platter.
Carry on to Sorrento for rugged coastlines peppered with sandy beaches and the occasional ethereal cove to explore. Here, you’ll find plenty of Insta-worthy views, tasty traditional dishes, and mind-blowingly good limoncello to sip on…and that’s without even mentioning the lively nightlife! With 4 nights here, you’ll easily have time to take a quick trip to Pompeii or Mount Vesuvius, too!
Next up, is the beautiful ancient Sicilian port city of Catania, nestled at the foot of the imposing Mount Etna. Explore its stunning religious sites and fascinating museums for a welcome escape from the heat, or, if you can handle the heat, round off your days here lounging on its beautiful golden beaches and sampling the delicious seafood specialties on offer by the coast.
Then head to Rome, the Eternal City, and marvel at the ancient monuments which still stand majestic amongst the centuries-old streets, fancifully furnished with sophisticated cafes and piazzas. Enjoy authentic Italian espresso, before tucking into some well-deserved cicchetti, and sampling what the city’s nightlife has to offer.
Up next are the wonders of Croatia, where you’ll start off with a well-earned snooze on the beach in Split. Watch the old Croatian sailing boats milling in and out of the harbour and grab a few cool cocktails by the beach before you board your ferry to the port town of Hvar. This walled island will enchant with its Renaissance period cathedral, aromatic lavender fields and access to nearby unspoiled islands with mystical coves to explore.
After a ferry back to Split, you’ll round your trip off by keeping your feet firmly on land with a scenic coach journey down the coast. You’ll wind up in the Unesco World Heritage medieval walled city of Dubrovnik. Stroll through the pedestrian stone streets around the magnificent Baroque buildings and gaze out across the calm blue waters of the Adriatic Sea to reflect on the last four weeks!
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
This 4 week Greece, Italy and Croatia route allows a more relaxed pace, taking in 8 cities in 29 days. Most of your journeys will have some flexibility, and you’ll travel during the day except for two night ferries. You’ll have a mix of shorter and longer trains, but don’t worry – we’ll always book times that allow you to make the most of each city.
Crete (3 Nights)
With a wealth of natural beauty, Crete is so varied in things to see and do that you’ll never be stuck for what to do! Beaches, mountains, forests and ruins define its landmarks, whilst the locals’ laidback lifestyle reflect its relaxed atmosphere.Crete Guides
- Explore the creepily beautiful Psychro Cave, the supposed birthplace of Zeus
- Hike the dramatic White Mountains and their protected forest
- Hit up Elafonisi beach for pink sands and awesome surf!
Athens (4 Nights)
Both historic and modern, edgy and traditional, Athens is famous as the capital of the Ancient world. Here you’ll find iconic structures like the Parthenon, the Acropolis and the Temple of Poseidon, but also a wealth of great coffee houses, delicious restaurants and buzzing bar scene. This is a truly young city, with a big student population – and the vibrant atmosphere that comes with it.Athens Guides
- Head to the top of Fillopapou hill, overlooking the Acropolis for the best photo opportunities
- Explore famous Greek sites – the Parthenon, the Theatre of Dionysos and the Temple of Poseidon among many others
- Drink Greek wine and cocktails al-fresco at one of Athen’s many bars and enjoy the vibrant nightlife
Sorrento (4 Nights)
Famous for its golden sandy beaches and mouthwateringly good limoncello, Sorrento is the perfect place to unwind and get a taste of that dolce vita. With a couple of nights here, be sure to take a tour of the beautiful cloisters and cathedrals before popping to a liqueur tasting to cool off!Sorrento Guides
- Go beach-hopping around the beautifully rugged coastline
- Get a taste of the city’s famously good limoncello
- Take a load off by getting lost in the city’s cloisters and gardens
Catania (3 Nights)
This ancient and quaint port city perched on the eastern coast of Sicily, lies beneath the imposing and breath-taking Mount Etna. With old-world architechture and charm, incredible locally sourced seafood, and breezy open-air bars by the sea, what more could you ask for?Catania Guides
- Visit and even hike up Mount Etna if you’re brave!
- Head to Castello Ursino to get your fill of the city’s history
- Take a tour around any of the many art galleries dotted around the city
Rome (4 Nights)
Home to endless culture, stunning architecture and buzzing nightlife, Rome is one of the classic quintessentially European hubs to tick off your travel checklist. Take in the unreal food, fascinating culture, laidback lifestyle and experience it all!Rome Guides
- Marvel at the ruins of the Roman Forum
- See the world-famous Colosseum
- Try real Italian coffee, ice-cream and pizza
Split (2 Nights)
Even though Split is a port for many Croatian islands, sitting elegantly between the Adriatic and the mountains, the country’s second city has two Unesco World Heritage sites within its walls, a marble waterfront walkway and a buzzing atmosphere around its bars and pubs.Split Guides
- See the amazing ruin of Diocletian’s Palace
- Admire the city as you approach it from the sea
- Stroll along the glittering waterfront
Hvar (2 Nights)
Playground for the rich and famous, in recent years Hvar has hosted the likes of Beyoncé, Eva Longoria and even Prince Harry, who infamously tumbled into a pool at Veranda nightclub. This is the place to sip ostentatious cocktails, rent a motor boat and glide around the tiny islands.Hvar Guides
- Climb up to the 16th Century Citadel
- Do a PADI dive course in the crystal Adriatic waters
- Day or night you can party at Carpe Diem beach
Dubrovnik (2 Nights)
Dubrovnik is an absolute pearl with its wonderful marble streets and Baroque buildings, totally recovered after being bombed in 1991. You won’t be anything but awe-struck at its beauty, a medieval city perched against the Adriatic and positively beaming with charm.Dubrovnik Guides
- Unesco World Heritage Medieval City
- Wander the streets of the Old Walled Town
- Sip cocktails at the Hard Jazz Café
How to get there
No stress! You can arrange a flight to Chania International Airport and a flight home from Dubrovnik Airport, whilst we take care of the transport in between your cities! Alternatively, if you’d like to start or end your trip elsewhere, just let us know and we’ll work a doable route out for you.
9 hours ago
This is a fab way to lose weight, so easy and tasty. A real winner
3 days ago
I find the meals pleasant and filling.
3 days ago
3 days ago
Started the shakes and bars this week and have so far lost 5lb which is great.
4 days ago
Too early to really comment on how successful the diet will be but very pleased with flavours and textures.
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?