This route is an 8 day trip covering 3 of Russia’s most popular cities, including Moscow and St Petersburg. You’ll spend 7 nights in your accommodation and 1 night on the train, with the other train travel taking place during the day.
- St Petersburg
If you’ve covered most parts of Western Europe and are looking for a little bit of a challenge, why not venture East. Europe’s most vast and varied country, Russia borders both Finland and China… what better way to explore such an immense land than by rail? In this trip you’ll check out 3 of the country’s most beautiful cities, as well as the rugged landscapes in between. Questions about visiting Russia? Check out Portia’s blog here.
Russia is historic and mysterious on an epic scale… start your discovery here
Explore the spires and palaces of St Petersburg, Yaroslavl and Moscow, and lose yourself in the fairytale landscapes of the world’s largest nation. Start off in the City of the Tsars – discover the beautiful National Ballet, Winter Palace and Catherine Park. Walk along the harbour in the midnight sun – during May and June the legendary “White Nights” play host to a huge variety of concerts and shows throughout the city.
Next you’ll explore Yaroslavl – it’s a world heritage city and sits at the heart of the “Golden Ring” of Ancient Russian cities which have all played an important historical role in the region. This winter wonderland is a haven for snow lovers – the Volga river freezes solid every winter as temperatures drop well below freezing. In Summer explore the beautful spires and traditional architecture of the city’s old town.
A quick train journey and you arrive at your final stop – Moscow. The iconic power house of Russia is home to some of the country’s most famous landmarks. Red Square, with its neighbouring St Basil’s Cathedral as well as The Kremlin is a must. But don’t miss out on the more underground aspects of the city – from its stylish coffee houses to the famously exuberant nightlife. Moscow’s hipster culture is alive and thriving, so you shouldn’t struggle to find a stylish brunch joint to sooth any resulting hangovers.
This route requires a Russian tourist visa, not included in the price. You can apply for this up to 6 months before your trip. Once you have the visa, you MUST enter Russia within 6 months otherwise it will expire. Euroventure is not able to provide visas, however we can supply supporting documents for your application for a fee of £3 per hostel/hotel. For information on how to apply, please go to your nearest Russian Embassy website and look up the entry requirements for your nationality. Make sure you allow plenty of time to process this (at least 2 months).
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Access to your itinerary, tickets and documents on the Euroventure App.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
If you’re looking to explore a fascinating and sometimes overlooked part of the world, our Russia trip is perfect for you. You’ll visit three of the country’s most beautiful and popular cities, travelling on a mix of day and night trains. Please note you’ll need a tourist visa to enter Russia.
St Petersburg (2 Nights)
Saint Petersburg is the city of the Tsars. From glorious opera houses to underground music scenes, classical masterpieces to street art – immerse yourself in kaleidoscopes of Russian colour and culture. When you’re done, make the most of the city’s famous White Nights to party into the early hours – you can sleep when you’re dead.St Petersburg Guides
- Marvel at the incredibly ornate “Church of the Saviour on the Spilled Blood”, Pushkin and Catherine Palaces.
- Join local residents for all night parties in June – during Summer’s “White Nights”, the sun barely sets.
- Discover authentic bargains at Udelka flea market on the weekend
Yaroslavl (2 Nights)
Check out traditional Russian Hospitality in Yaroslavl – one of the “Golden Ring” cities famed for their beauty and historical importance. Explore the gorgeous cathedrals and churches, with golden domes and elaborate frescoes. Make sure you get a pic of the grand Cathedral of Assumption!Yaroslavl Guides
- Join Yaroslavl’s locals and kiss for good luck by the Volga River
- See the UNESCO heritage area of the city which is teeming with museums and churches.
- Head to Pivoteka Pinta and drink the best beer in town.
Moscow (2 Nights)
Russia’s Capital, home to the grand treasures of the Tzars, Russia’s modern political hub (The Kremlin) and more cultural heritage than you can shake a stick at; it’s clear that any trip to Russia starts with Moscow. For this particular journey, it’s also your gateway to Siberia. Here is the starting point of the Trans Siberian Express – one of the World’s most iconic trains journeys.Moscow Guides
- Check out Red Square and St Basil’s Cathedrals – arguably Russia’s most famous sight
- Eat your way through delightfully stodgy cuisine – potatoes, Borscht, any kind of meat you can imagine and plenty of local beers (and maybe vodka) to wash it down.
- Sweat out all the toxins you’ve acquired in a classic Russian Banya, or bath house.
How to get there
The quickest and cheapest way to get to and from the UK will be to book a budget flight. Use a search engine such as Kayak or Skyscanner to do this. Alternatively, if you want to travel from the UK to Russia and back by train, why not have a look at our Northern Loop.
1 day ago
Euroventure are helpful, kind and reliable. Amy patiently advised us and was very knowledgeable and thorough throughout. We bought our Interrail passes in a simple phone transaction and they had all the answers we needed. The passes arrived the very next day and there were no added charges for delivery. Great service.
1 week ago
Fantastic service, totally took the worry and hassle out of interrailing, all train times were clear and easy to understand , hostels were first class, cant wait to book my next adventure.
3 weeks ago
Super friendly and very helpful especially Tolly! Thankyou for a great service.
2 months ago
The team at Euroventure was outstanding! Not only were they knowledgeable and helpful, but they were always quick to respond, very accommodating, and made every part of our trip personal and meaningful. Highly recommend Euroventure and would definitely work with them again.
2 months ago
I have just returned from my 1 week interrailing trip! Me and my boyfriend went on the “Iron curtain” package and it was amazing. Euroventure organised everything and made it so easy. I would highly recommend anyone that wants to see more of Europe to go with this company.
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?