You’ll see the whole length of Britain in 14 nights and 15 days starting and ending in London.
This route is wheelchair accessible ♿️
This trip only creates 76.8 kg of carbon emissions! To fly the same route would cost 374.7 ♻️
If you don’t have much time to explore the UK but you still want to see pretty much the whole country then this is the perfect route. Starting and ending in the capital where you can always find cheap return flights, your rail journey heads north, stopping for a night or two at each city along the route.
Brimming with character and charm, Britain’s most well-known cities are all here for you to explore on this quintessential British Train Holiday.
Take in our pick of some of the country’s finest cultural destinations, and soak up the endless beauty, history and culture that awaits you.
Start off in London, the city that never sleeps. You’ll be spoiled for choice when it comes to things to see and do, whether you’re looking to get the traditional London experience, or find your own hidden gems in the city. Head to the Tower of London to marvel at the breath-taking crown jewels, enjoy a luxurious afternoon tea at the Fan Museum, or even take a trip to the West End Theatre for an evening to remember!
Next you’ll head to Oxford, where dreamy landscapes and buildings will transport you back to another point in time. The Ashmolean Museum in Oxford is home to some highly inspired works of art, whilst the Natural History Museum is sure to impress any history buff! Lord of the Rings fans shouldn’t leave before having a few drinks at the Eagle and Child pub – JRR Tolkien’s old haunt.
Head to the north towards the port city of Liverpool. Home to the Beatles and overflowing with maritime history, this buzzing centre is a great place to find out more about Britain’s past. In addition, its huge number of great restaurants and bars make it an excellent nightlife destination.
Next take a train through breathtaking countrydside, across the border to Glasgow to start the Scottish part of your trip. This once industrial city is flourishing into a vibrant urban hub, with buzzing bars and restaurants to top off its wide selection of museums and galleries. Relax with a local brew and reflect on the stunning Scottish landscape before cutting across to the Scottish capital – Edinburgh. Looking out over the picturesque and mountainous East Coast, you won’t be disappointed for views with a trip to Arthur’s Seat, an extinct volcano and the highest point in the city! Round your visit off with a trip to The Scotch Whiskey Experience to sample one of the country’s most well-known exports
Next up: York. Oozing with ancient history and scenic picnic spots, you’re sure to fall in love with the cobbled Chocolate City! Roam the Roman Bathhouse and the impressive Norman York Castle, before grabbing a tasty pick-me-up at the renowned Betty’s Tea Rooms. Alternatively, you could make the most of the quaint boutique shops along the Snickelways of York, or head off on a boat trip down the River Ouse to drink in the sights.
Carry on towards the south to Cambridge. When you think of quintessential Britain you can’t get closer than this – Cambridge is overflowing with stunning architecture and historic charm. Spend your days wandering the ancient streets, punting and taking afternoon tea in one of the many cafes and tea rooms.Finally, take the short train journey back to London.
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Exclusive discounts on attractions across Europe.
- Peace of mind with alternative travel included if there is a strike or similar disruption.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
London (2 Nights)
One of the most visited cities in the world and the crown jewel of the United Kingdom, London is undoubtedly spectacular. Boasting an incredibly rich history, countless iconic landmarks, world-class museums (most of which are free), acres of leafy parks, cobbled streets and alleyway pubs older than some cities – it isn’t hard to see why tourists flock to this jolly old town. Far from just a relic of the past, modern-day London is an economic and cultural powerhouse, stamping its authority as one of the greatest cities in the world.London Guides
- See the multiple iconic landmarks of Big Ben, The London Eye, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace
- Visit the British Museum, among the largest and most comprehensive in existence.
- Take a stroll through St. James Park, one of many found throughout the city
- Sample the delights at Borough Market
Oxford (2 Nights)
Home to one of Britain’s two most famous universities, Oxford is a charming and quintessentially British city. Small enough to cover in a couple of days but with plenty to offer, spend your afternoons punting on the River Cherwell, exploring the eclectic covered market and enjoying the university and college grounds.Oxford Guides
- Visit the university colleges and grounds – there are nearly 40 different colleges so check their opening times before you go.
- Explore the vast Bodleian library and Radcliffe Camera – tours are available daily.
- See fascinating exhibits at the Pitt Rivers museum, devoted to human history.
- Admire the dreaming spires with a rooftop cocktail at The Varsity Club.
Liverpool (2 Nights)
While traditionally serving as an industrial centre and major port city, Liverpool has managed to build enormous character over the past century, subsequently becoming a tourist haven of the north. Home town of the biggest band in the world the Beatles, Liverpool has solidified itself as a Mecca for music fans. Also boasting multiple museums and galleries, a UNESCO World Heritage City Centre and a fanatical football culture, Liverpool has something to offer everyone.Liverpool Guides
- Visit Anfield Stadium and embrace the fanatical football culture
- Catch a show at the Cavern Club, the venue the Beatles cut their teeth in.
- Stroll around the Albert Dock area, the Maritime heart of the city
- Visit the multiple museums and galleries and learn about Liverpool’s rich history.
Glasgow (2 Nights)
The third largest city in the UK and largest in Scotland, Glasgow is a gritty city with a unique, edgy character and cultural prowess. Often overlooked for its more scenic sister city in the east, Glaswegians stand unperturbed and fiercely proud of their city and its abundant museums, Victorian-era architecture, industrial roots and well renowned nightlife and music scene, considered by many as the best in the UK.Glasgow Guides
- Visit the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, home to works from Rembrandt, Dali and Monet
- Soak in the serenity at the Glasgow Botanic Gardens
- Sample some of the country’s finest scotch whiskey at the Glengoyne distillery
- Take a stroll down the iconic Buchanan Street
Edinburgh (2 Nights)
Home to the Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh is proud to call itself Scotland’s capital city. Immerse yourself in its dramatic castles, beautiful views, traditional pubs and windy streets. Take the hike up to Arthur’s Seat for the best views of the city, and head to Sandy Bell’s in the evening for traditional brews and folk music.Edinburgh Guides
- Taste traditional haggis and neeps
- Stroll around the beautiful grounds of Holyrood Palace
- Climb up to Carlton Hill to see the Robert Burn’s Memorial
- Visit the National Museum of Scotland
York (2 Nights)
With a history stretching nearly two millenia, modern day York is a widely revered destination, wearing it’s past as a badge of honour. The most intact and complete medieval walls encase the CBD, where you walk back in time through the towns Snickelways, a collection of narrow alleys, complete with overhanging buildings. The centrepiece is the magnificent York Minster, also known colloquially as the heart of Yorkshire.York Guides
- Marvel at the gothic grandeur of York Minster
- Walk the famous medieval walls and get the best view of the city
- Explore the Shambles, one of the best preserved streets in Europe
- Visit the National Railway Museum and discover the fantastic collection on display
Cambridge (2 Nights)
Home to one of Britain’s oldest institutions, this iconic Uni town is a must see for anyone visiting the UK. Boasting more than just academic clout, Cambridge is scenically and architecturally beautiful, with a more laid-back atmosphere than its larger rival. Wander the cobbled streets with their antique shops and tea rooms, take a stroll along the River Cam or simply embrace the student-lifestyle. You will be simply charmed by Cambridge and all its has to offer.Cambridge Guides
- Take a punt down the river and admire the college backs
- Explore the many independent shops and cafés along the high street.
- Picnic in Midsummer Common and watch the university rowing teams on the river
- Take a trip into the stunning East Anglia countryside at Thetford forest.
How to get there
London has numerour international airports so you can fly in and out from pretty much anywhere in the world. If you are coming from Europe or are visiting the UK as aprt of one of our packages on the mainland then we can include Eurostar from Paris, Brussels and further connections. If you are starting from the UK, you can start your trip from any train station.
1 week ago
From the moment we booked our week long trip with Goat, via Amy, nothing was too much trouble and she talked us through the process and made the whole thing a breeze. The van itself was clean, well equipped and very easy to drive. We opted for GOAT (Amy) to arrange our campsites and were presented with a personalised itinerary that was extremely welcomed as we were given all the information needed to glide in and out of the sites selected and we were not disappointed in anyway. I can thoroughly recommend this efficient operator without any hesitation. My deposit was returned within 48 hours without a hitch. We will use them again.☺️❤️❤️
3 months ago
I CANNOT recommend this travel agency enough! I booked a surprise honeymoon for my nephew and his spouse with Euroventure Travel Ltd. and their customer service is unparalleled! For reference, I live in the US and wanted to plan a multi-country trip via rail through Europe for my nephew and his spouse for their honeymoon. They helped me customize the trip, (3 countries) keep in a budget I wanted, and picked out some amazing hotels all within the city centers of their itineraries. I wanted the trip to include a a few countries, but I didn't have a huge budget, and they really worked with me to make this an amazing trip! We went through a few scenarios, trying to decide what would be the best itinerary for the time period and budget I was able to afford. It was great. There were a few times that I had simple (and sometimes complicated) questions regarding the trip and I would email the travel team in the evening and wake up to detailed responses in the morning. If I emailed during their working hours, I received an almost instant response from the team, not an automated response. I honestly felt like I was talking to a friend and not a travel company. I can't thank them enough for helping me plan an unforgettable honeymoon for my loved ones!! If you are planning a holiday via rail throughout Europe and need help planning, look no further, Euroventure Travel is the agency you want to use for your holiday!!!!!
5 months ago
I had the most amazing time on the Iron Curtain Tour! We managed to fit so much into the week, with so many great recommendations by our awesome tour leader. Any difficulties as a cause of current travel situations were resolved without issue, and I always felt safe. Euroventure tours are to the best places, with the best people, and I cannot recommend them enough. Please do yourself a favour and book with them!
5 months ago
I had an amazing time on the iron curtain tour which was well organised so I could see a lot in a short space of time. Our tour leader was great; very knowledgeable and made good recommendations in each city. I was also pleased with the quality and location of the hostels. I will definitely consider booking with euroventure again.
5 months ago
The Iron Curtain Tour I went on was a great adventure! Euroventure was responsive with communication and on the tour the hostels were wonderful! My group was affected by the pandemic closures, but we made the most of it and Euroventure kept us updated throughout the week. No issues during travel!
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?