Whether you’re a first time traveller or an afficionado looking for a whistle stop tour, this trip is an awesome way to feed your inner travel bug. Spend a fast-paced week exploring four of Central Europe’s top cities – the perfect mix of culture, great food and amazing nightlife!
The perfect trip for anyone wanting to explore the unique and lesser-visited side of Europe.
The Iron Curtain is one of our most popular interrailing packages, and it’s easy to see why. Whipping around 4 of Europe’s incredible but lesser-visited big cities, this is the perfect introduction to Eastern Europe. You’ll have enough time to experience its unique cultural melting pot, delicious food and buzzing nightlife. If you fancy travelling for more than a week, though, let us know and we’ll maximise your travel time! We reckon you can never spend too long in one place…
Start your trip off by crossing Checkpoint Charlie from West to East Berlin. As you head through the city’s bustling streets, you’ll wander along what was once the dividing line between Eastern and Western Europe before the collapse of the Berlin Wall. Balance out your historical walking tours with a taster of the city’s famously alternative nightlife. Filled with everything from edgy clubs to truly bizarre bars, you won’t be disappointed. If you’re lucky, you might even get into Berghain!
You’ll then make your way from Germany to pretty Prague, the capital of the old Czechoslovakia. Soak up the fairy-tale atmosphere with the delicious rounds of cheap local beer and jaunts in quirky cocktail bars. Recover from the night before just in time to leave for Vienna, the music capital! Experience the city’s sophistication, old-worldy cafe culture and impressive architecture before sampling its local beers.
Continue eastward along the picturesque Danube, to finally reach Budapest, the alternative little sister to Berlin. Take in its stunning structures, friendly locals, and cool ruin bars – there’s no place like it! Be sure to get the locals to tip you off about Budapest’s famous spas to take a quick dip to soothe that hangover. You’re going to need the relaxation before rounding your last night off with a toast of the local wine, Tokaji…
This is the perfect trip for anyone wanting to explore the unique and lesser-visited side of Europe. Does it sound like this quick getaway is up your street? Just let us know and we’ll get a quote sent over to you!
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Access to your itinerary, tickets and documents on the Euroventure App.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
This is a fast-paced trip offering a great combination of Central European cities. Journeys are mid-length, usually around 3-4 hours each, but we’ll always ensure that you arrive in good time to make the most of each city. Wind your way down the Iron Curtain with these ex-soviet gems.