This route is a 15 day trip and you’ll spend 14 nights in your accommodation and travel by train and/or bus during the day.
This trip only creates 72.2 kg of carbon emissions! To fly the same route would cost 564 ♻️
The Islandbound is one of our most popular routes, combining the culture and nightlife of Central Europe’s top cities with a hearty dose of beach-side chilling in Split and Hvar. It’s perfect if you love exploring natural wonders, but want a bit of culture and nightlife too.
The perfect trip for sun-worshippers, culture-vultures and nature-lovers
When you’re doing a big trip it’s great to head towards a final destination for a little R & R, which is why we love the idea of being bound for the coast. Here we’re talking about Hvar – a little gem on the Adriatic where the leisurely pace harks back to a simpler Mediterranean lifestyle. Travel Central Europe from Berlin to Zagreb, and all the way down the Dalmatian coast to Hvar. This 2 week interrail trip can also be done in 3 weeks if you have a bit more time to play with.
Begin in Berlin for a dose of cutting edge nightlife and inspiring WW2 history. Then move onto breath-taking Prague, fairy-tale capital of the Czech Republic and the historic capital of Bohemia, where you can marvel at the ornate architecture while moving from bar to bar. Next head over for a few days in sophisticated Vienna and feed your inner culture vulture with cocktails and classical music. Experiment to see which Austrian beer best compliments your bowl of goulash, before pursuing this thirst for knowledge in Budapest, where the Hungarian liquor, Palinka, definitely merits closer examination.
Next, hit up Zagreb to test the excellent Croatian wine. Finally, round off an educational week with a well-earned week of beach chilling.
Next, it’s on to Split. Feel the living history as you wander around the Diocletian’s Palace, and watch the old Croatian sailing boats milling in and out of the harbour before you board your ferry to Hvar. Stroll through the pedestrian stone streets around or climb up to the fortress, and gaze out across the calm blue waters of the Adriatic Sea.
Finish your route back in Split – just in time to wave goodbye to those Adriatic sunsets. We promise you’ll never forget them.
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Exclusive discounts on attractions across Europe.
- Peace of mind with alternative travel included if there is a strike or similar disruption.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
This is a fast-paced trip offering a great combination of Central European cities. Journeys are mid-length, usually around 4 – 6 hours each, but we’ll always ensure that you arrive in good time to make the most of each city.
Berlin (2 Nights)
Berlin is the alternative, cool kid of Europe and a pro at being edgy. It’s how people dress, their liberal attitudes, the graffiti, the skaters and BMXers, the art, the clubs, and the food. Berlin is also crammed full of fascinating WWII history around every corner.Berlin Guides
- See a section of the old Berlin Wall
- Climb the dome of the renovated Reichstag
- Discover the nightlife of Schoneberg and Kreuzberg
Prague (2 Nights)
Prague is stunning, there’s no better word to describe it. On any side street or square you’ll find unique buildings full of colourful detail. The Czech Republic is also the home of Pilsner beer, with no lack of establishments to sample it.Prague Guides
- Cross the enchanting Charles Bridge
- Marvel at the curvy design of the Dancing Building
- Try all the Czech Pilsner beers in the Old Town pub
Vienna (1 Night)
Vienna is crisp, clean, and chic with its biggest draw factor being the multitude of classical palaces and grand imperial buildings. Whether you’re into your royal history or not, the sheer scale of it here will be encapsulating for all, whilst not forgetting the great bars and eateries.Vienna Guides
- Visit the Spanish riding school of Vienna
- Eat real Apple Strudel and Wiener Schnitzel
- Go to a classical concert in a city renowned for music
Budapest (2 Nights)
Proudly guarding the Danube, the once twin cities of Buda and Pest show off every architectural style from Baroque to Art Nouveau. With its rickety trams and turn-of-the-century feel you’ll be charmed by its past while you cure your hangover in any of the multitude of hot baths.Budapest Guides
- Relax in the 15th century thermal spas
- Take panoramic photos from the scenic Buda castle
- Go to Sziget rock and indie festival in August
Zagreb (2 Nights)
A city of flowers and fountains with a curious Mediterranean feel, Zagreb is a year-round destination with a museum-café-theatre culture by day and a lakeside party by night. In winter, a tram ride out of the city provides scenic hiking and skiing opportunities.Zagreb Guides
- Catch a 360-view from the Lotrščak Tower
- Stroll through the beautiful Mirogoj Cemetery
- Have a coffee in Kino Europa, Zagreb’s oldest cinema
Split (2 Nights)
Even though Split is a port for many Croatian islands, sitting elegantly between the Adriatic and the mountains, the country’s second city has two Unesco World Heritage sites within its walls, a marble waterfront walkway, and a buzzing atmosphere around its bars and pubs.Split Guides
- See the amazing ruin of Diocletian’s Palace
- Admire the city as you approach it from the sea
- Stroll along the glittering waterfront
Hvar (3 Nights)
Playground for the rich and famous, in recent years Hvar has hosted the likes of Beyoncé, Eva Longoria and even Prince Harry, who infamously tumbled into a pool at Veranda nightclub. This is the place to sip sunset cocktails, rent a motor boat and glide around the many uninhabited islands.Hvar Guides
- Climb up to the 16th century citadel
- Do a PADI diving course in the crystal Adriatic waters
- Day or night, you can party at Carpe Diem beach
How to get there
The quickest and cheapest way to get to and from the UK will be to book a budget flight. Use a search engine such as Kayak or Skyscanner to do this. Travelling by train from the UK to Berlin could also work, but travelling back by train from Hvar will take you a long time so it’s best to fly.
1 week ago
I had the most amazing time on the Iron Curtain Tour! We managed to fit so much into the week, with so many great recommendations by our awesome tour leader. Any difficulties as a cause of current travel situations were resolved without issue, and I always felt safe. Euroventure tours are to the best places, with the best people, and I cannot recommend them enough. Please do yourself a favour and book with them!
1 week ago
I had an amazing time on the iron curtain tour which was well organised so I could see a lot in a short space of time. Our tour leader was great; very knowledgeable and made good recommendations in each city. I was also pleased with the quality and location of the hostels. I will definitely consider booking with euroventure again.
1 week ago
The Iron Curtain Tour I went on was a great adventure! Euroventure was responsive with communication and on the tour the hostels were wonderful! My group was affected by the pandemic closures, but we made the most of it and Euroventure kept us updated throughout the week. No issues during travel!
2 weeks ago
Can't Fault Euroventure team for everything and creating the trip of a lifetime! Even with the current coronavirus issues, they are flexible, understanding and dealt with any concerns of the virus to reroute the trip. Will definitely be using them again!
2 weeks ago
Had a wonderful trip organised with Euroventure. All hotels fab and instructions on how to get to places spot on. No issues at all and I definitely recommend. Hil
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?