This route is a 22 day trip, and you’ll spend 21 nights in your accommodation and travel by train and/or bus during the day.
The Islandbound is one of our most popular routes, combining the culture and nightlife of Central Europe’s top cities with a hearty dose of beach-side chilling in Split and Hvar. It’s perfect if you love exploring natural wonders, but want a bit of culture and nightlife too.
The perfect trip for sun-worshippers, culture-vultures and nature-lovers
When you’re doing a big trip it’s great to head towards a final destination for a little R & R, which is why we love the idea of being bound for the coast. Here we’re talking about Hvar – a little gem on the Adriatic where the leisurely pace harks back to a simpler Mediterranean lifestyle. Travel Central Europe from Berlin to Zagreb, and all the way down the Dalmatian coast to Hvar. This 3 week interrail trip can also be done in 2 weeks if you don’t have enough time to spare.
Begin in Berlin for a dose of cutting-edge nightlife and inspiring WW2 history. Then move on to breath-taking Prague, fairy-tale capital of the Czech Republic and the historic capital of Bohemia, where you can marvel at the ornate architecture while moving from bar to bar. Next head over for a few days in sophisticated Vienna and feed your inner culture vulture with cocktails and classical music. Experiment to see which Austrian beer best compliments your bowl of goulash, before pursuing this thirst for knowledge in Budapest, where the Hungarian liquor, Palinka, definitely merits closer examination.
Next, a relaxing 3 night stay in Ljubljana, with its chocolate box town and nearby natural wonders. Make sure you visit Lake Bled before you head off to Zagreb to test excellent Croatian wines. Finally, round off a cultural couple of weeks with a well-earned week of beach chilling. Start out in Zadar, where the sea literally sings and the sunsets are world famous. Sail down to Sibenik, to make the most of Croatia’s stunning national parks – Krka Lakes and Kornati are literally on your doorstep here.
Next, it’s on to Split. Feel the living history as you wander around the Diocletian’s Palace, and watch the old Croatian sailing boats milling in and out of the harbour before you board your ferry to Hvar. Stroll through the pedestrian stone streets around or climb up to the fortress, and gaze out across the calm blue waters of the Adriatic Sea.
Finish your route back in Split – just in time to wave goodbye to those Adriatic sunsets. We promise you’ll never forget them.
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
This is a mixed-pace trip offering a mix of Central Europe’s top capitals and chilled-out destinations, giving you a chance to escape the city. Journeys are mid-length, usually around 2-6 hours each, but we’ll always ensure that you arrive in good time to make the most of each city.
Berlin (2 Nights)
Berlin is the alternative, cool kid of Europe and a pro at being edgy. It’s how people dress, their liberal attitudes, the graffiti, the skaters and BMXers, the art, the clubs, and the food. Berlin is also crammed full of fascinating WWII history around every corner.Berlin Guides
- See a section of the old Berlin Wall
- Climb the dome of the renovated Reichstag
- Discover the nightlife of Schoneberg and Kreuzberg
Prague (2 Nights)
Prague is stunning, there’s no better word to describe it. On any side street or square you’ll find unique buildings full of colourful detail. The Czech Republic is also the home of Pilsner beer, with no lack of establishments to sample it.Prague Guides
- Cross the enchanting Charles Bridge
- Marvel at the curvy design of the Dancing Building
- Try all the Czech Pilsner beers in the Old Town pub
Vienna (2 Nights)
Vienna is crisp, clean, and chic with its biggest draw factor being the multitude of classical palaces and grand imperial buildings. Whether you’re into your royal history or not, the sheer scale of it here will be encapsulating for all, whilst not forgetting the great bars and eateries.Vienna Guides
- Visit the Spanish riding school of Vienna
- Eat real Apple Strudel and Wiener Schnitzel
- Go to a classical concert in a city renowned for music
Budapest (2 Nights)
Proudly guarding the Danube, the once twin cities of Buda and Pest show off every architectural style from Baroque to Art Nouveau. With its rickety trams and turn-of-the-century feel you’ll be charmed by its past while you cure your hangover in any of the multitude of hot baths.Budapest Guides
- Relax in the 15th century thermal spas
- Take panoramic photos from the scenic Buda castle
- Go to Sziget rock and indie festival in August
Ljubljana (3 Nights)
Ljubljana is a colourful chocolate box city with a café culture that brings to it a festival atmosphere all summer long. See the castle perched above the city or take a day trip out by train to the picturesque Lake Bled, where you can hire a rowing boat and visit the island in the middle. We’ve given you extra time here, so you can chill out in the beautiful landscapes.Ljubljana Guides
- See the 16th century castle on the hill
- Wander through the colourful streets
- Take in 360-views from an art-deco skyscraper terrace
Zadar (2 Nights)
Like many of its Adriatic cousins, Zadar has plenty of amazing beaches and blue skies. From here explore amazing Croatian Islands such as Pag, or take a trip to Plitvice Lakes.
- Listen to the magical Sea Organ cut into Zadar’s beaches
- Take a trip to Pag Island, just north of the city
- Embark on an epic pub crawl with new friends
Sibenik (2 Nights)
Situated right on the edge of Krka National Park AND Kornati National Park, Sibenik is a the perfect base to explore Northern Dalmatia’s amazing landscapes. In the Old Town, chill out at one of the many pavement cafes with a glass of local wine and watch the sun set over the sea.Sibenik Guides
- Take an excursion out to Kornati National park to explore the moonlike landscapes.
- Visit Krka National park and swim in the crystal clear waters and waterfalls.
- Visit Sibenik Cathedral in the Old Town.
Split (3 Nights)
Even though Split is a port for many Croatian islands, sitting elegantly between the Adriatic and the mountains, the country’s second city has two Unesco World Heritage sites within its walls, a marble waterfront walkway, and a buzzing atmosphere around its bars and pubs.Split Guides
- See the amazing ruin of Diocletian’s Palace
- Admire the city as you approach it from the sea
- Stroll along the glittering waterfront
Hvar (3 Nights)
Playground for the rich and famous, in recent years Hvar has hosted the likes of Beyoncé, Eva Longoria and even Prince Harry, who infamously tumbled into a pool at Veranda nightclub. This is the place to sip sunset cocktails, rent a motor boat and glide around the many uninhabited islands. Fancy something different? Upgrade to an Island Retreat for the ultimate way to end your trip!Hvar Guides
- Climb up to the 16th century citadel
- Do a PADI diving course in the crystal Adriatic waters
- Day or night, you can party at Carpe Diem beach
- Upgrade to a private Island Retreat…
How to get there
The quickest and cheapest way to get to and from the UK will be to book a budget flight. Use a search engine such as Kayak or Skyscanner to do this. Travelling by train from the UK to Berlin could also work, but travelling back by train from Hvar will take you a long time so it’s best to fly.
9 hours ago
This is a fab way to lose weight, so easy and tasty. A real winner
3 days ago
I find the meals pleasant and filling.
3 days ago
3 days ago
Started the shakes and bars this week and have so far lost 5lb which is great.
4 days ago
Too early to really comment on how successful the diet will be but very pleased with flavours and textures.
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?