This route is a 29-day trip. You’ll spend 23 nights in your accommodation and 6 nights on a yacht. The rest of your journeys will be carried out by a combination of train, coach and yacht.
- Croatia Sailing
This trip only creates 196 kg of carbon emissions! To fly the same route would cost 1355 ♻️
Because the sailing component of the trip leaves once a week, this trip can only start on a Sunday and only runs from May to September. Please email email@example.com before booking this rail & sail trip to confirm availability first.
Trying to plan that trip of a lifetime? Then Rail & Sail Croatia is for you! Travel all the way from London to Dubrovnik by train for two weeks exploring the continent before taking a yacht to explore Croatia’s incredible islands and inlets. Then, head back to London, passing through 3 amazing European cities on the way. This is a two-in-one trip, you’ll explore big European cities independently for three weeks, but you’ll also be guided through Croatian islands with as part of a like-minded group of adventure seekers. What’s more, you’ll have the opportunity to take part in incredible activities such as paddleboarding, biking or snorkelling, surrounded by breath-taking landscapes!
On our 4-week Rail & Sail to Croatia adventure, you’ll explore Europe from one end to the other. Starting in London, travel to the Croatian city of Dubrovnik by train and continue your journey with a one-week sailing trip around Croatia. Experience Western, Central and Eastern Europe with this 29-day adventure! You’ll have a full day in each city, meaning you’ve got plenty of time to see the sights.
Start your trip in London and settle into your journey on board the Eurostar to Brussels before quick train change and you’re heading off to experience the famously buzzing nightlife in Amsterdam. With coffee shops and museums galore, you’ll have the perfect mix of culture and partyi ng to contend with! Next up is the cosmopolitan and edgy atmosphere in Berlin, the European city that never sleeps. Carry on to Prague for gorgeous Gothic scenery by day, and long, boozy nights in secret underground bars by night. Next, head south to classical Vienna, the music capital of the continent, before making your way up the Danube River to grand old bohemian Budapest.
After one too many in the Ruin Bars, recuperate at a spa before heading to the underrated Croatian capital, Zagreb. With a buzzing cafe culture and chilled bars, you won’t go hungry or bored! You’ll then continue to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Dubrovnik (home of Game of Thrones), where you can chill with a cocktail.
You will then start your sailing trip around the Croatian Islands. From Dubrovnik to Split, you will explore 8 cities on 5 different islands. A lot of different activities are included, such as paddleboarding, swimming or snorkelling. You can even learn to sail with your professional skipper! But don’t worry, you’ll also have plenty of time to explore these islands at you own pace!
After sailing around Croatia’s gorgeous coastline, you’ll make your way back home, starting in Ljubljana. During your stay in Slovenia’s picturesque capital, visit the glorious Lake Bled, ( just 45 minutes away). You won’t regret it! Then, head west to Italy. Ride the gondolas down the canals of Venice and get lost in its picturesque labyrinth of quaint backstreets.
Take the night train over to Paris for your last destination. Arrive bright and early, ready to make the most of the most visited city in Europe. Catch all the best views from the top of the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe or the steps of Sacré Coeur, then refresh yourself with a glorious glass of French wine and the finest cheese. There’s no finer way to say goodbye to the trip of a lifetime before you zoom back to London to complete your adventure…
- All overland transport tickets from the first to the last city, as shown in the key.
- Any Interrail or Eurail passes if required, based on the best value for you.
- Compulsory seat reservations on high-speed rail, night trains or ferries.
- Accommodation in top-rated, centrally located hostels or hotels, tested by us.
- Walking directions between the stations and your booked accommodation.
- Optional walking tours, pub crawls and other activities at our partner hostels.
- A personalised travel booklet with maps, language guides, top tips, and more.
- Exclusive discounts on attractions across Europe.
- Peace of mind with alternative travel included if there is a strike or similar disruption.
- Access to our 24hr emergency phone number while you’re away.
- Accommodation onboard a yacht
- Fresh breakfast and lunch everyday
- Tea, coffee and drinking water
- A professional skipper
- A ‘Guest Experience Leader’
- Stand Up Paddle Board, dinghy and snorkelling gear
With 8 cities in 14 days, followed by the discovery of 5 different Croatian islands in a week and another train journey taking you back to England passing by 3 great European cities in 9 days, the Rail & Sail to Croatia is a great adventure. You’ll have a mix of mid-length and longer trains as well as some buses, but don’t worry – we’ll always book times that allow you to make the most of each city. As for the sailing part, you will be guided in exploring the islands your yacht will take you to.
Start your trip in London with the Eurostar from St Pancras. Why not add a few nights here to see the sights of the capital? Prefer to fly to Paris rather than taking the Eurostar? No problem, just reply to your quote email and tell us – we’ll adjust the price for you.London Guides
Amsterdam (2 Nights)
Despite being credited with certain recreational pastimes, there is actually a lot more to the city than the stereotypical picture, with its abundance of engaging museums, beautiful townhouses and canals. Find out what makes Amsterdam the beating heart of the Netherlands.Amsterdam Guides
- Visit the Van Gogh Museum
- Discover Europe’s biggest historic centre by pedal
- Take a tour of the red light district
Berlin (2 Nights)
Berlin is the alternative, cool kid of Europe and a pro at being edgy. It’s how people dress, their liberal attitudes, the graffiti, the skaters and BMXers, the art, the clubs and the food. Berlin is also crammed full of fascinating WWII history around every corner.Berlin Guides
- See a section of the old Berlin Wall
- Climb the dome of the renovated Reichstag
- Discover the nightlife of Schoneberg and Kreuzberg
Prague (2 Nights)
Prague is stunning, there’s no better word to describe it. On any side street or square you’ll find unique buildings full of colourful detail. The Czech Republic is also the home of Pilsner beer, with no lack of establishments to sample it.Prague Guides
- Cross the enchanting Charles Bridge
- Marvel at the curvy design of the Dancing Building
- Try all the Czech Pilsner beers in the Old Town pub
Vienna (2 Nights)
Vienna is crisp, clean and chic with its biggest draw factor being the multitude of classical palaces and grand imperial buildings. Whether you’re into your royal history or not, the sheer scale of it here will be encapsulating for all, whilst not forgetting the great bars and eateries.Vienna Guides
- Visit the Spanish riding school of Vienna
- Eat real Apple Strudel and Wiener Schnitzel
- Go to a classical concert in a city renowned for music
Budapest (2 Nights)
Proudly guarding the Danube, the once twin cities of Buda and Pest show off every architectural style from Baroque to Art Nouveau. With its rickety trams and turn-of-the-century feel you’ll be charmed by its past while you cure your hangover at the multitude of hot baths.Budapest Guides
- Relax in the 15th Century thermal spas
- Take panoramic photos from the scenic Buda castle
- Go to Sziget rock and indie festival in August
Zagreb (2 Nights)
A city of flowers and fountains with a curious Mediterranean feel, Zagreb is a year-round destination with a museum-café-theatre culture by day and a lakeside party by night. In winter, a tram ride out of the city provides scenic hiking and skiing opportunities.Zagreb Guides
- Catch a 360-view from the Lotrščak Tower
- Stroll through the beautiful Mirogoj cemetery
- Have a coffee in Kino Europa, Zagreb’s oldest cinema
Dubrovnik (1 Night)
Dubrovnik is an absolute pearl with its wonderful marble streets and Baroque buildings. You won’t be anything but awe-struck at its beauty, a medieval city perched against the Adriatic and positively beaming with charm.Dubrovnik Guides
- Wander the streets of the walled Old Town
- Take a day trip to beautiful Mostar in Bosnia
- Sip cocktails at the Troubadour Jazz Café as the sun sets
Croatia Sailing (6 Nights)
Sail from Dubrovnik to Split in a yacht and discover both popular and secluded islands. From the small fishing town of Vrboka, on the Hvar Island, to the Mljet National Park, you will be going back home with a lot of breathtaking memories!Croatia Sailing Guides
- Wander historic cities and old towns
- Paddleboarding, swimming, kayaking and snorkeling in crystal clear water
- Explore Mljet National Park by bike
- Experience local food
Split (2 Nights)
Even though Split is a port for many Croatian islands, sitting elegantly between the Adriatic and the mountains, the country’s second city has two Unesco World Heritage sites within its walls, a marble waterfront walkway, and a buzzing atmosphere around its bars and pubs.Split Guides
- See the amazing ruin of Diocletian’s Palace
- Admire the city as you approach it from the sea
- Stroll along the glittering waterfront
Ljubljana (2 Nights)
Ljubljana is a colourful chocolate box city with a café culture that brings to it a festival atmosphere all summer long. See the castle perched above the city or take a day trip out by train to the picturesque Lake Bled, where you can hire a rowing boat and visit the island in the middle.Ljubljana Guides
- See the 16th Century castle on the hill
- Wander through the colourful streets
- Take in 360 views from an art-deco skyscraper terrace
Venice (2 Nights)
Venice is nothing short of unique, built on mudbanks in the lagoon, having forgone the convenience of cars for the charisma of canals. Getting lost in Venice is part of the fun, and if you’re on foot you’ll only find small backstreets or large piazzas, not a single street in sight.Venice Guides
- Cross the iconic St Mark’s Square
- Get lost in the alleyways and canals of the city
- Ride the vaporetto down the grand canal
Paris (2 Nights)
Paris is a byword for romance, a synonym for style, and the epitome of elegance. The pride of France and one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Paris needs little introduction, from the Eiffel Tower to the Pont Neuf, it bedazzles visitors and oozes charisma at every turn.Paris Guides
- See the Mona Lisa at the Louvre
- Watch a cabaret act at the famous Moulin Rouge
- Experience the colourful nightlife of the Marais
Finish your trip back in the UK’s enigmatic capital city, or take your onward connection home! Prefer to fly back from Paris rather than taking the Eurostar? No problem, just reply to your quote email and tell us – we’ll adjust the price for you.London Guides
2 weeks ago
I had the most amazing time on the Iron Curtain Tour! We managed to fit so much into the week, with so many great recommendations by our awesome tour leader. Any difficulties as a cause of current travel situations were resolved without issue, and I always felt safe. Euroventure tours are to the best places, with the best people, and I cannot recommend them enough. Please do yourself a favour and book with them!
2 weeks ago
I had an amazing time on the iron curtain tour which was well organised so I could see a lot in a short space of time. Our tour leader was great; very knowledgeable and made good recommendations in each city. I was also pleased with the quality and location of the hostels. I will definitely consider booking with euroventure again.
2 weeks ago
The Iron Curtain Tour I went on was a great adventure! Euroventure was responsive with communication and on the tour the hostels were wonderful! My group was affected by the pandemic closures, but we made the most of it and Euroventure kept us updated throughout the week. No issues during travel!
2 weeks ago
Can't Fault Euroventure team for everything and creating the trip of a lifetime! Even with the current coronavirus issues, they are flexible, understanding and dealt with any concerns of the virus to reroute the trip. Will definitely be using them again!
3 weeks ago
Had a wonderful trip organised with Euroventure. All hotels fab and instructions on how to get to places spot on. No issues at all and I definitely recommend. Hil
Questions & Answers
Don't see the answer you're looking for?